Friday, August 20, 2010

Lovely View From Up Here

Yes, that's right, I jumped out of a perfectly good plane yesterday...and it was absolutely amazing!! For anyone who has ever thought about skydiving, just do it, you won't regret it. When I first arrived in Cape Town everyone kept talking about skydiving and asking me if I was going to do it, but I figured it was something I could just do at home sometime. Well after watching videos from many of the other volunteers, they had me convinced. Sure it's something I can do back home, but the view here was incredible - the city of Cape Town, Table Mountain and of course the Atlantic Ocean. The jump got me hooked and now I am in love with skydiving!! I said to my instructor before we were even on the ground that I was ready to go up again. AMAZING - that pretty much says it all.

After my awesome day of skydiving it was back to work today. I was placed in ICU again and was responsible for caring for the oily penguins which we only had two of. Even with just two birds to care for it was still a very busy day. Because the birds are weak and dehydrated they need to receive fluids every two hours which is either plain water or darrows which is basically like powerade for penguins and smells like Kool-aid. Some of the penguins also receive formula (the blended fish and canned dog food mixture) and all the birds also get fish twice a day. In between feeding and giving fluids there is plenty of cleaning to be done so there is never a dull moment. It's unbelievable how quickly the days go. As of today I only have 3 weeks left at SANCCOB and yet it feels like just yesterday that I started!

2 comments:

  1. How come that guy got to wear a helmet?
    Looks like fun. And yes, 3 weeks has gone incredibly fast, but not as fast as jumping out of a plane!!
    I WANNA BE THAT CAMERA GUY!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never would have thought.. but.. I would have as well! You never cease to surprise me with your wild ways!

    ReplyDelete