Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hello Sunshine!!

Four more busy days in Cape Town have passed since my last update. Last weekend I thought I would be working, but found out late Friday that I would be off so I was scrambling at the last minute to find things to do. The weather was beautiful on Saturday so a group of vollies decided to go to the beach at Camp's Bay. The guys bought a soccer ball and kicked that around while the rest of us relaxed on the sand. One thing I am learning quickly is that everywhere you go, people will have stuff they will try to sell. Within minutes of arriving we had about 4 guys surround us with various items such as wooden carved figurines, bowls, jewellery and beaded keychains. I couldn't resist and ended up buying a few things. Afterwards we walked along the street where more vendors were selling items. I stopped for a few minutes to watch a man making a large gecko out of wire and beads. It was very impressive and made me feel good about supporting him by buying a couple of his keychains.

Sunday was much the same, but instead of going to the beach, we went to the green market square in Cape Town where dozens of vendors were selling the same sort of items as the day before. Unfortunately they were starting to close up, but I still had some time to run around and pick up a few things. The first time I tried bargaining a deal it was a little frustrating, but after a couple times it gets exciting. Every booth you pass by they tell you "I give you good price, today only" I have now heard this line at least a hundred since I've been here. I'm looking forward to going back to the green market someday when I have more time to browse.
Yesterday was a tiring, but good day at work. I was placed on ICU for my first time which is where all of the weak, sick and injured birds are kept. I was very confident feeding them and I also learned how to put tubes down their throats to give fluids and formula. This I learned quickly is not an easy task and it is also intimidating because you have to be very careful not to put the tube down their breathing hole.....or they will die. I think for my first time doing tubes I did pretty well.

Today I was placed on Pen 2 again where we currently have 18 penguins, many of whom had recently been oiled and then cleaned. I am now able to do all the tasks required in Pen 2 - feeding, tubes, and giving medication (putting pills down their throats with your finger - a little scary considering how insanely sharp their beaks are.) Now that I have done most tasks at least once I'm able to work almost anywhere in the centre. The only area I have not yet worked is with the oilies which I have heard is very difficult because they are not happy birds. Oh well, it's all part of the job.

1 comment:

  1. Hey - looks like you're tanning up pretty good down there. Glad to see the sun working as hard as you are. Are those palm trees in the background?
    miss you
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete