Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dogs Need Love Too




Just got home early from my third day of work. Yesterday was basically the same as day 1, I was assigned to Pen 1, the aviary and general duties. Yesterday I was actually able to catch the large gulls myself (although not that well.) Once I realize that I am not going to pop their heads off or break their wings I will be a pro. I haven't yet had the chance to work with penguins, but I was able to pet one of the permanent residents, Rocky the rockhopper penguin. Unlike the African penguins at the centre, Rocky is very friendly and will even let you pick her up. She is sometimes brought around to schools to teach kids about penguins.




Today was quite different from my first two days. Generally this is a very busy time of year at SANCCOB because the winter months are windy which often washes oil ashore and oils numerous penguins and other seabirds. This winter has been a little different and at the moment there are too many volunteers and not enough penguins to keep everyone busy. Because of this, SANCCOB has found other conservation type volunteer projects around Cape Town to keep the volunteers busy. Today I was volunteering at a dog and cat shelter about 40 minutes away from SANCCOB. There were five volunteers and one staff member working there today. Our task was to build a-frame type dog houses because all of the dogs are in fences outside. We were able to complete two dog houses and then we ran out of nails so we finished a little early. Tomorrow I have been assigned to volunteer at the Blouberg Conservation Area. Not sure what I will be doing there yet by stay tuned for information in my next blog update : )




3 comments:

  1. hi margaret, i am definitely tuned in. between preping for training and budget cut talks, i enjoy a little get away to south africa everyday.

    are you meeting any locals or are all the volunteers foreigners?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking pics, and dog house. Got lots of nails here if you want to build two more when you get back!
    Rocky looks like he owns the place, like that guy on Happy Feet. He's worth the trip alone.
    We're all proud of you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lea!

    Happy to hear that you're keeping up with my blog and glad I can brighten your day :)

    I've met so many people this past week, some international volunteers like myself and many locals as well, yesterday I even met a guy from Kingston, Ontario while on top of Table Mountain!! The volunteers who are staying at the AVIVA house from me are from all over - Italy, England, Scotland, Ireland, USA, Germany, Holland and another girl from Canada. Most of the volunteers at SANCCOB are international volunteers, but the permanent staff are mostly from S.A.

    ReplyDelete